Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Girls, Squirrels, and Hurls...

^^this is one of my fav. pictures of Dre covering her ears after being startled by their squeaks.
they were so determined to catch them. Believe it or not, they caught 3 or 4! So funny!
The Camp Director (top right). Not that she didn't have enough stress, but after painfully walking around not finding the "rock" in her shoe, she found this nail....
 ^^The first night, there was a lot of "moth" drama-->walk into the cabin + dozens of moths would fly into your face, hair, and body. You turn on your flashlight and they immediately swarm you. I laughed so hard as we were getting ready for bed. Some girls went on a rampage stomping fest--others squealed helplessly. To calm the first years down, I turned my flashlight to the corner of the room for the night.
Somehow I was roped into singing as one of the two-man"barbershop narrators" for the stake skit night. :)

I remember the first day in our new ward, I turned to Cars and whispered to him that I secretly would die if I could work w/ the young women. (It has been years since we were in a family ward.) Not even two weeks later...I was called in. And of course, I agreed to help at Girls Camp for some of the week. We went to beautiful, Camp Shalom.

Aside from dodging + cleaning puke ALL night the first night....yeah, things got real..fast.....everything rocked. The stories, the songs, the canoe rides, the games, the jokes, the food, the devotionals, the stars, etc. I just love youth! Even though I look like a yw, it was interesting to be on the other side, as a leader. I have come to know + love these girls so much more in just a few days! I want more than anything for them to see their true value, to avoid the dangers that are so easily accessible for teens, to stay resilient to the troubles they face every day! and... HOLY COW, our Camp Directors were champions for putting so much thought + work into this. I whole-heartedly commend all people who sacrifice to help the youth, to cultivate this next generation!

THREE CHEERS FOR GIRLS CAMP!!!

 How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. 
-Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment