Sunday, September 13, 2015

Gdansk

Welcome to Gdansk! Our final destination.
The photo on the left is the exact location where Carson contacted Anna on his mission. She was baptized a couple months later. Anna and her husband were SOO gracious to allow us to stay with them for a few days. They did all they could to ensure we were well-taken care of. I don't speak Polish and Anna doesn't speak English, so Carson was our permanent translator. At this point of the trip, it was neat for me to sit back and really take in the Polish culture...from listening to the language 24-7, eating typical Polish meals, and exploring popular destinations in Gdansk. 
^A Polish Breakfast 
^Patrik and his mother. She owns a flower shop. We sat in the back of this little shop for over an hour laughing and joking as we watched her make bouquets. Carson baptized Patrik and now, he has chosen to serve a mission. He is a remarkable person. The three of us toured the city the last afternoon we were in Gdansk. 
We took a train ride out to Malbork to spend the day storming the LARGEST castle in the world (in surface area)! The excitement of my tour guide was real here, people! :)

The entire trip was a DREAM. I could not have pictured a more memorable, exciting, and adventurous trip. Exploring new countries, cultures, and peoples is exhilarating! Not to mention, sharing it with someone you love makes it that much more beautiful! I wish words could adequately articulate how grateful we are to those who went out of their way to make this trip so enjoyable for us; we are truly grateful for you.

***
On the way home, however, we experienced our first major hardship of this pregnancy. I woke up in Germany not feeling so well but I figured it was fairly normal (given I was well into my third trimester now) but on our 10 hour flight home, I was overcome with the most excruciating pain I have ever been in--EVER. My body started to go into episodes of throwing up. I put scalding hot water on my back to try to alleviate some back pain--and later gave myself blisters bc of it. I was so grateful to have Carson (and the priesthood) by my side as I laid in the back of the plane surrounded by doctors on board and flight attendants. Once we landed in Philadelphia, I was hospitalized for a day. Gratefully, we discovered the baby is fine--the pain is something "me" oriented---either kidney stones or hydronephrosis. Although, the trip ended a bit scary, I left feeling even more grateful for Carson, our unborn son, and the opportunities I have to experience a rich, beautiful life. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! So glad you and baby are okay! That would be so scary! Your trip sounded amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! So glad you and baby are okay! That would be so scary! Your trip sounded amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Katie! I know, right? It was a crazy ending but thankfully the baby is okay! I hope you all are doing well. Keep posting photos of your darling Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally got around to reading about your experience! How fun!! Got me excited for the day we go to Europe! Your plane/hospital experience sounds completely awful!! Glad it's okay now!! :)

    ReplyDelete