Thursday, May 29, 2014

One Year Down. Boom. Done.


First Year of Teaching High School. Check.

Receiving so many thoughtful comments from students on the bottom of their class evaluations was just the cherry on top of a great year. What a year. It was hard. really hard. and VERY rewarding. (To get a better idea of what I am referring to: CLICK HERE ) I witnessed miracles this year. Some of these kids are going to be the F-I-R-S-T in their families to go to college while others overcame/learned to cope with suicide, addictions, parental neglect, etc. and together we got them coming to class….and PASSING. ---> Two of them now want to go to college to be history teachers. What?!

I have never worked so hard in a job…ever. I was told it would be hard. I was told many quit after their first year. I was told many newly formed marriages suffer.....I was determined this wouldn't be me. If I was going to do this....I wanted to do it right. I created over 200--80-minute lesson plans. I woke up at 6:30 (to get as much sleep as possible) and went to bed well after midnight. I often spent weekends trying to brainstorm creative-fun-engaging lesson plans (let me tell you, that combo is hard to do for teens who have constant entertainment at their fingertips). I also realized after the first semester, I needed a balance. Make time for your top priorities + for yourself. It pays dividends.

Some days (aka every day) I made a fool of myself trying to get most of these kids "passionate" about the inspiring/ difficult moments of our history. I quickly realized I had to shed any insecurity I personally had at the door because if I was going to show them that it is okay to be yourself, I had to do it first. If I expected to see something in them--I had to do it first. This job gave me a quiet confidence I will forever cherish. Well....you kind of HAVE to...after the first day of having 80 eyeballs critically staring at you each period---wondering how this teenage-looking teacher would do---was a make or break moment---lucky for me, it saved me. They saved me. I came to truly love these kids. The energy I got from teaching and learning w/ them was exhilarating.

From recreating the underground railroad, simulating Ellis Island + the Great Depression, or trying to change legislation, we "experienced" what makes our country beautiful--together! I love the cognitive stimulation of this job. I love the service-centered focus. I learned about myself, about the intricacies of our country's heritage, and more than anything I learned about people. I learned how resilient the human soul is, especially when we allow ourselves to truly heal and grow. I saw how similar we are, despite our blatant, blaring differences.

^^ My first day                                            ^^ Last day
Can you tell we are just a little ready for summer?? Cars deserves to be in the"After" just as much as I do because I didn't just do it--WE did it!!!! This was a team effort. Carson was the glue that kept me together. I thank the Lord EVERY day that I married my sweetheart.  
P.S. This kid to my left ^^ BROKE the 200 STATE RECORD THIS YEAR. He is the FASTEST high school 200 runner Utah has EVER had! 
Crazy right?
Eliza^^ (my youngest sister at the Davis Invite)....7 years ago, that was me! Talk about full circle.
Guess who we saw at Region? 
Always lookin' sexy in that purple.
Some of my favorite teacher friends from this year!!!

Between teaching and coaching track, I grew to love these kids immeasurably. I felt like a proud parent watching their growth, watching them fight to achieve their goals. I feel so honored to have been put in this school at this time with these kids! 

My grandparents gave me a little wooden box (that I have kept on my desk this year) with this quote carved on the top: "A teacher affects eternity; they can never know where their influence stops.
I am soooo far from being a perfect teacher/coach..after all, it has only been one year... but no matter what experience we have in any capacity of life, I believe we can make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. Rach. You are incredible. I am so so so proud of you! (Can I say that?) You really are making a difference. They are so lucky to have you. I'm lucky to know you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete