Sunday, April 20, 2014

EASTER

Three years ago, Easter took on a very different meaning for me. While living abroad in Israel, we studied and learned of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Every day we celebrated His life, His resurrection, His gospel. I came to know the Savior in a very real and life-changing way. After four months, I remember coming home utterly exhausted from the traveling, studying, and the jam-packed scheduling of our study abroad. The next morning was Easter Sunday. Still getting over extreme jet-lag, I walked into the chapel and sat down to quietly listen to the choir practice. All of a sudden, the choir started singing the hymn, "He is Risen." Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my face. Not even 48 hours earlier, I had been singing the same song at the Garden Tomb. I was simply overcome with the truthfulness and joy in its message. The testimony that I had come to instill so strongly in my heart burned within me. The Savior lives and because of it, we, too, can live again. Easter is so much more than the bunnies and eggs, it is a truly sacred and powerful celebration. 
Our Savior Jesus Christ LIVES!

(**Please note that one does not have to go to/see any of these places to know Christ, cherish Easter, or have a testimony. It is when we center our lives on Him that we come to know Him and feel of His presence--and we can do that anywhere.)

I will occasionally go through my pictures trying to remember the places and the things I learned during my stay there. It then occurred to me that it might be neat to share some of the photographs we took of the places we study in the Bible and Book of Mormon. Visuals can be helpful! 
Besides, the land is beautiful. 
***
Galilee
Galilee is a place where the Savior lived, healed, and taught during His mortal ministry. 
This land is the location of 2/3 of the New Testament events

Gamla
We hiked for about two hours to get to a synagogue at the top of Gamla. This synagogue dates back to the 1st Century...THE FIRST CENTURY...it still exists from when Christ lived and taught!

Mt. Arbel

Mount of Beattitudes
Matthew 5
(pic from Kate)
                                                                                                   
Sea of Galilee
Matthew 14: 22-33
Capernaum
Location of MANY of the Savior's miracles and teachings. 
Mathew 9: 1: "came into his own city."
Home to Peter as well.
The Road to Jericho (Wadi Qelt)
The Savior came here to commune with God.
Jerusalem Center
Jerusalem
Steps leading up to the Southern Wall of the Temple where Jesus walked often.
Garden of Gethsemane
 (A friend captured this picture of Chels and I studying in the Garden of Gethsemane. 
It makes me want to cry every time I look at this. I had the opportunity to study about the Savior, a man who descended below all, with someone who has been with me through it all. I learned so much in this sacred Garden.)
Golgatha 
                                                   (now a local bus station ^^)
The Garden Tomb
“Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death. And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.” (Matt 20:18-19) 
"He is not here; for he is risen." -Matt. 28:6

"The greatest events of history are those that affect the greatest number of people for the longest periods. By this standard, no event could be more important to individuals or nations than the resurrection of the Master. And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! For we saw him." (D&C 76:22–23.) (Benson)

I know this to be true.

Because of Him, I am able to open my heart + mind in a way I never knew existed. I am able to find peace amongst sorrow and hope in the midst of despair. Our Savior, Jesus Christ, lives. 
Because of Him, I can love and live more fully. 



Enjoy your Easter weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment